Information on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Please see below for the latest update from Moore regarding our response to the COVID-19 public health crisis and the steps the College is taking to continue to support the community during this time. For an archive of past communications and updates, please click the COVID-19 Advisory Timeline link in the navigation below.
Update from the President: May 5, 2021
Dear Moore students,
After thorough consultation with the members of our Pandemic Response Team, as well as leadership from our Board, Faculty Forum, the Moore Federation of Teachers and Staff Council, Moore College of Art & Design will require COVID-19 vaccinations for all new and returning undergraduate and graduate students at the start of the fall 2021 semester.
Recent research has shown that the currently available COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective, and a useful way to protect ourselves from new variants. With current plans underway for a full return to on-campus classes in the fall, student vaccinations will help our ongoing efforts to maintain a safe learning and working environment for everyone at the College. The College’s decision is in line with recent news from other nearby higher education institutions whose students, along with Moore’s, make up a significant portion of Philadelphia’s population throughout the year.
We strongly encourage students to get vaccinated as soon as possible, whether here in Pennsylvania, where all adults 16 and over are currently eligible, through the municipality where you live, or through your health care provider. Please note that the College does not have its own supply or allotment or vaccines. Students who are unable to receive the vaccine before the beginning of the fall semester will need to obtain it upon their return to campus and will have to quarantine between doses. Exceptions to the requirement will only be provided for medical or religious reasons.
It is easy to sign up for a vaccine in Philadelphia and surrounding counties and states. Please see the information below.
- Philadelphia Residents: To register for a COVID-19 vaccine, Philadelphia residents are encouraged to complete the City of Philadelphia's Vaccine Interest Form, if you have not already done so, at www.phila.gov/vaccineinterest. To check current vaccine eligibility, please visit the Philadelphia Department of Public Health website.
- Other Pennsylvania Residents: https://www.pa.gov/guides/get-vaccinated/
- New Jersey Residents: https://covidvaccine.nj.gov/
- Delaware Residents: https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/vaccine/where-can-i-get-my-vaccine/
- New York Residents: https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/
If your state is not listed above, please visit your state or county health department website for information.
For more information about the available COVID-19 vaccines, visit the CDC website.
With gratitude for all that you continue to do to keep yourselves and others safe,
Last updated on May 17, 2021
Dashboard data for faculty and staff is specific to those who are currently teaching or working part-time or full-time on campus.
Current Status: Low Risk
Since August 15, 2020 (First Day of Testing)
1,208 Total Tests Administered to Students, Faculty & Staff
9 Total Positive Tests
Commuter Students: 3
Remote Students: 2
Residential Students: 2
Employees (Faculty & Staff): 2
Last 7 Day period
Total Positive Student Cases
Last 7 Day Period
Total Positive Employee Cases
Total Number of tests Administered
Since the start of the Fall 2020 semester
Total Positive Student Cases
Total Positive Employee Cases
Philadelphia Covid-19 Overview
View more information on current statistics for the city of Philadelphia
Per City of Philadelphia recommendations, we will house one (1) student per residence hall room during the Fall 2020 semester. In order to accommodate all students who require housing, we have partnered with the Sheraton Downtown, located within a short walking distance of six minutes to Moore’s campus, to provide housing for seniors and some juniors. Sartain Hall, for comparison’s sake, is a three-minute walk to campus. A shuttle will also be made available to transport students from the hotel to Moore.
All students will be tested for COVID-19 when they first arrive on campus. We also ask that, if at all possible, students get tested before they depart home for campus and remain home if they test positive.
All on-campus classes will also be broadcast via Zoom (either concurrently or asynchronously) for students who wish to participate from home. Moore Faculty will be provided with the necessary tools to ensure that all students receive the best classroom experience, both in person and remotely, through rigorous training and additional resources.
- If you are a student and experience a fever or other flu-like symptoms, call Student Health Services to speak to our nurse (215.965.4032). If you are faculty or staff, stay home and contact your supervisor, Human Resources and Primary Care provider.
- If traveling and feeling unwell, seek medical care. International SOS or your health insurance can be a good source of information regarding accessing care.
- Get a flu vaccine: They are available by walk-in at local pharmacies. Seasonal Influenza occurrence in Philadelphia remains high and vaccination is the best preventive measure.
- Use good hand hygiene: Wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, taking care to wash between your fingers and thumbs, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Limit the spread of germs and illness: Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve or elbow. Refrain from touching your face, especially your mouth, eyes and nose. Avoid shaking hands and avoid sharing food, drinks, utensils, cups, vapes/JUULs, etc.
Mental Health Counselor appointments (for students only), available Monday through Friday, 11 am – 7 pm each day. Mental Health Counselors can be reached at the following numbers and email addresses:
- Andrea Bernstein: 781.561.9001 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jo Coppola: 484.424.9816 | email@example.com
- Guardian Insurance's Confidential Employer Assistance Program (for staff and faculty)
We will continue to stay in communication with any updates as they arise.